A.W. Rawson 145 AF & AM

Ancient Free & Accepted Masons

About us

A.W. Rawson Lodge 145, A.F. & A.M. History

In 1852, Dr. Asa Warren Rawson, along with Joseph M. Plumb and others, formed the lodge in the very young town of Pecatonica, Illinois. A charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of A.F. & A.M. of the state of Illinois, in 1854. A replacement charter was issued to the lodge in 1856.

Northwest corner of Main St. and 4th St. & The hall was a two story, wood framed structure. A lodge hall was constructed at that time in the location of the current hall, near the south.

On the morning of March 23, 1917, the lodge hall burned to the ground. The cause of the fire was not determined. The lodge immediately began meeting in the G.A.R. hall located on the northwest corner of Main St. and 3rd St. On June 25, 1917, work began on the new lodge hall. On July 19, 1917, the northeast cornerstone was laid. This new hall would be almost twice as large as the old hall. It would now also occupy the lot they purchased immediately to the north, where a real estate office and shoe repair shop were destroyed by the fire. On March 13, 1918, the hall was completed and the first lodge meeting was held in it.

On the morning of June 8, 2009, lightning struck the southwest corner of the lodge hall roof, starting a fire. Thanks to alert citizens and quick action by the fire departments, the structure was saved. However, the second floor interior had to be gutted and rebuilt. A reconstruction team led by Worshipful Master David Zimmerman was able to create and execute plans for a rebuilt hall. The rebuilt hall includes many modernization improvements, while maintaining a vastly enhanced 1917 stately motif. During the reconstruction, the lodge meetings were held at the Winnebago lodge hall. The work was completed just prior to the December 22, 2009 stated lodge meeting.

Author - W. Brother M. Todd Hess


AW Rawson #145 re-dedication

Video - W. Brother M. Todd Hess

Download Petition For Membership